Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eliasberg coins, do you have any in your collection?

bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2022 2:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was in my early 20's when the auction occured without much on funding, but remember getting and studying those catalogs wishing i could get even a lower tier coin from that collection at the time. Anyone have something from that collection that they'd like to show off? Would love to see!

Comments

• Options

See, there was this guy named Eliasberg who tried to get one example of....Never mind. Bad post nowadays. Carry on. :-)

• Options

Wow! That's a great coin mirabela. It's cool that you got to own it for awhile!

• Options

Dang RYK, That's a beast for sure! Thanks for posting!

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my one and only. I sometimes wonder why Eliasberg had such a modest coin in his collection...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Hibernia, Harp Left, MS 60, that I purchased on the May 96 Eliasberg auction. It was raw when I bought it, so I had it slabbed when PCGS first started grading colonials. Unfortunately that was years before PCGS started taking pictures, so I do not have a picture of it.

Mark

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bought very few of the Eliasberg coins from his 1997 auction as I felt many of the more expensive coins were overgraded.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@airplanenut said:
    I may have had to go to the bathroom many times during a high school math class so I could get updates on the sale from @MrEureka, who ended up getting me this. I should take better photos at some point… these ones are pushing 20 years old.

It’s a type I wanted, and the pedigree was a nice little bonus.

I may have told this story here before, but it's worth repeating. There was a large quantity of common Australian sovereigns at the end of one of the Eliasberg sessions, including some large multiple coin lots. Completely uninteresting to almost everyone attending the sale, since we were all there to buy the more special coins. In fact, I had no plans on bidding on them, except I needed to get one for Jeremy. But as luck would have it, word got out that the buffet lunch was now ready outside the auction room, the room quickly emptied out right before the sovereigns, and I found myself the only floor bidder on the enire run of sovereigns. ANR bought the first dozen or so coins as souvenirs to give their employees, and then I got to buy the rest of them for not insignificantly less than melt. Yes, I got stuck at the end of the lunch line, but it was worth it!

You’re welcome!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The only US coin...

Whoa there now- that’s a keeper! NICE!!!

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have a 1904 British Gold Sovereign in an NGC AU-53 holder I bought from a form member many years ago.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtnman said:
    I have a 1904 British Gold Sovereign in an NGC AU-53 holder I bought from a form member many years ago.

Cool. Got any pics to share?
    I don't have any with provenance but sure is a bucket list item :wink:

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Sorry I don’t have any pictures. I have Parkinson’s and couldn’t take a picture if my life depended on it. When I was diagnosed in 2017 I gave my tripod and macro lens away.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

My one and only.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Here’s a couple:
    1836 50/00 PR66 CAC

1836/1336 PR64CAM

👀😆🍺👍🏻👍🏻

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list